The summer time is the best season to take advantage of some vacation days and relish the fantastic weather. However, it is also the season to get a few things done throughout the house. In other words, it’s prime home maintenance season. The kids are out of school so you can get them to help you out with some of the projects. Whether you’re going on vacation or not, there’s plenty of stuff that has to get done. Here are five things you should get done this summer:
1. Secure the house while you’re on vacation. The summer time is when most people go on vacation, so you need to take the proper steps to secure your house while you’re away. Security should include more than just preserving the safety of your house. You should also make sure to hire someone to look after your garden, feed your pets, and check on your house while you’re gone.
2. Turn your yard into a relaxing haven. If you aren’t going on vacation this summer, then you should make your backyard into an enticing vacation spot. Get some comfortable chairs, a fire pit, and maybe even a pool, so that you can enjoy your backyard all summer long.
3. Tackle some home improvement projects. There are quite a few routine home exterior maintenance tasks that are good to do during the summer months. For example, the professionals at Hustad Companies recommend getting any major roof work done during the summer before the leaves fall and the ice and snow show up. Other home exterior maintenance work includes washing your windows and siding as well as trimming back trees and hedges.
4. Keep on top of yard work. It’s hot in the summer, which means most people try to avoid doing yard work. However, the more you put it off, the more difficult it becomes. So, you should just come up with a routine to keep on top of it. Better yet, hire a kid in the neighborhood to take care of your yard for you. They’ll appreciate having a little extra money.
5. Go on a stay-at-home vacation. Turn your house into a relaxing retreat. Add some color to your decor, open up the windows, and bring some plants inside. All of this will make your home feel like a resort, and allow you to maximize your creativity.
If you’ve got more tips on what you can do around the house this summer, send them to us. We’d love to hear from you!